Jericho is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) in Nassau County, New York on the North Shoreof Long Island. As of the United States 2010 Census, the CDP population was 13,567. The area is served by theJericho Union Free School District and the Syosset Central School District, the boundaries of which differ somewhat from those of the hamlet. The boundaries of the Jericho Post Office vary from both the hamlet and the school district boundaries, notably the inclusion of a portion of Jericho in the Westbury zip code, and the inclusion of a portion of Syosset in the Jericho zip code. Also, Jericho is located approximately 29 miles (47 km) east of Midtown Manhattan. Direct service is available by driving west on the Long Island Expressway or one can take the Long Island Rail Roadfrom nearby Hicksville or Syosset train stations
Located mainly in the Town of Oyster Bay with a small part in the Town of Hempstead, Jericho was part of the Robert Williams Plantation in 1648. The English families who settled in Jericho were, or soon became, Quakers, members of the Society of Friends. Many fled from persecution in England and in the New England Colonies. They sought a peaceful existence as farmers. The name of the area was changed in 1692 from Lusum to Jericho after the town in the Middle East near the Jordan River mentioned in the Bible as part of the Promised Land.
Elias Hicks married Jemima Seaman in 1771 and moved to her family’s farm in Jericho, where he soon became a noted preacher of Quaker doctrine. All the Quakers suffered during the British occupation of Long Island in the Revolutionary War. The practice was to quarter troops in homes of residents, who had to provide room and board for them. The Quakers continued to protest the entire concept of war itself. After the war, peace returned to Jericho, and the neat farms and businesses began to prosper. A Friends Meeting house was built in 1788 in Jericho that is still used in the 21st century. A Quaker school was built in 1793, the Charity Society of Jericho and Westbury in 1794, and slavery was abolished in 1817, with Hicks' help.
A Post Office was established in 1802, a cider mill in the mid-19th century, the first public elementary school in 1905, known as the Robert Seaman Elementary School. Improvements to infrastructure were made with the founding of the Jericho Water District in 1923. As the population increased, a new elementary school was built in 1920s (Cantiague Elementary School), and a Volunteer Fire Department established in 1938. The population kept increasing until the last elementary school in Jericho was built the George A. Jackson Elementary School. When the Village of Muttontown was incorporated, the cider mill was within the village limits. Because most Gold Coast villages wanted to remain business free areas, many do not have their own post offices or ZIP Codes. Therefore, Jericho Post Office which serves this area of Muttontown is displayed as the official USPS mailing address and leads to the misconception that the cider mill is in Jericho.
After World War II, in the 1950s Phebe Underhill Seaman sold a large piece of her land to real estate developers. This property was developed for new suburban housing. The water tower was erected in 1952. In 1958 the NY Department of Transportation demolished "Old Jericho" to widen Broadway, Routes 106/107, and to put in a cloverleaf access to Jericho Turnpike. New grade schools and a high school were added to the community along with a shopping center, a new Post Office, new Fire Department and a Public Library.
- Valley Stream
- West Hempstead
- Bellmore, NY
- East Meadow
- East Williston
- Floral Park
- Franklin Square
- Garden City
- New Hyde Park
- Upper Brookville
- Williston Park
The source of the displayed data is either the property owner or public record provided by non-governmental third parties. It is believed to be reliable but not guaranteed. This information is provided exclusively for consumers’ personal, non-commercial use.
The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program of the Multiple Listing Service of Long Island, Inc.