The Incorporated Village of East Williston is in the Town of North Hempstead
Most of the farmland was owned by the Willis family in the 1800s. So as not to be confused with the Willis areas of upstate New York, this area was known as East Williston. The original borders of the area known as East Williston, stretched west towards Queens to Herricks Road; north to I.U. Willets Road; south to the Village of Mineola; and east to Bacon Road in Old Westbury.
The coming of the railroad in 1865 stimulated manufacturing in East Williston. The industries that grew as a result of the new train station included brick making, windmill making and carriage making. Henry M. Willis designed and built the popular East Williston Runabout Roadcart. This carriage had two wheels and two seats. Its soft suspension allowed comfortable travel over the rough roads of the time. There was also a feature which allowed the body to be locked to the axle, allowing the carriage to be used on the racetrack. Over 1,000 East Williston Runabout Roadcarts were built by Oakley and Griffin (who purchased the business from Willis in 1889).
The major east-west route, State Route 25B or Hillside Avenue, was formerly called East Williston Avenue, since it connected Queens with East Williston. A small portion of the area was incorporated in 1926 as the Village of East Williston. The East Williston Union Free School District was founded in 1955. In 1985, the residential and commercial core of East Williston collectively known as the East Williston Village Historic District was designated a nationalhistoric district and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
East Williston Properties
- Valley Stream
- West Hempstead
- Bellmore, NY
- East Meadow
- East Williston
- Floral Park
- Franklin Square
- Garden City
- New Hyde Park
- Upper Brookville
- Williston Park
The source of the displayed data is either the property owner or public record provided by non-governmental third parties. It is believed to be reliable but not guaranteed. This information is provided exclusively for consumers’ personal, non-commercial use.
The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program of the Multiple Listing Service of Long Island, Inc.